Sunday, January 29, 2006

On Deus Caritas Est and RJN

After reading the RJN post below, some thoughts come to mind. Neuhaus seems to emphasize the difference between Benedict and John Paul the Great and this is a strong argument for the fact that Il Papa is his own man. Perhaps it is because I am rereading Love and Responsibility, but I see much in common with the thought of Wojtyla. The section on the role and character of eros seems to be this book restated in brief, be it from another perspective. The Church's teaching would have us see eros as agape or in the words of Wojtyla, "introduce love into love." I think this is a good example of two men, coming to the same issue, with different intellectual backgrounds and styles of communication, but proclaiming and struggling to understand the same truth. This encyclical is beautiful food for the soul and how fitting to begin "with the end in mind," as it were. Love is our end and love is a person. To speak of love, as a Catholic, is to speak personalistically, in a sense. Speaking of food for the soul and mind, Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity is a monumental, heartfelt masterpiece. I am eating it in small bites, as it is rich. God bless Papa Ratzi, God Bless JPG, and God bless all us X-Catholics!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

The Church's teaching would have us see eros as agape or in the words of Wojtyla, "introduce love into love."

That's beutiful.

I'd like to hear more about this, I'm malnourished in the theology of the body, or at least I'd like to snack between meals.

I'm tied up with a book MS but I'd love to see more posts on the encyclical.

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home