Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Blessed Saint Valentine's Day! 3/3

And finally... I was actually going to post a few days ago on a little practice I've adopted to reclaim a small part of our language: I've stopped using the abbreviation "St." for "Saint" and I always refer to a Saint by that designation. It's a small thing, but I really believe that just seeing that little word "Saint" could--at the right moment--be provocative in just the right way.

Also, though it's quite common in philosophy to refer in an article to Saint Augustine and Saint Thomas merely as "Augustine" or "Aquinas" I've retired that convention and keep the hagiographic moniker in there. It is clear that they were such good philosophers because they were such good Christians and that connection deserves explicit affirmation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home