Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Chestertonia

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." G.K. Chesterton, 1906
This is perhaps the defining summary of my experiences in the Religion Department at the universities in which I've studied. Twice on campus this year I've seen students sporting anti-Christian paraphernalia.

One student had a black T-short with a cross on a white background enclosed in a red circle with a diagonal slash running through it. Another had a big black and white patch on her back back with an upside-down cross and the words "Religion Free".

Somehow I doubt these kids also have corresponding T-shirts with the symbols of certain other religions similarly defamed (that might not be safe if they did!). The fact is I don't know what their beliefs about other religions are, but I do know that among the most hateful of Christianity are those most in favor of "Religion".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home