Monday, May 15, 2006

Second Nun Story

I promised in my Story of a Persecuted Nun to return to a second story, because, it so happens, I also sat next to a Nun on my way *back* from Chicago after the conference at Notre Dame.

It was almost surreal to find my seat and again go through the heuristic by which nuns may be identified. Since the odds of being randomly seated next to two *orthodox* nuns was even less than being seated by two nuns *simpliciter* I thought that this time I was really in for it.

However, much to my surprise here too was a nun with sense. My Diocese--the the Diocese of Rochester, New York--has the second lowest degree of priestly vocations in the country--the lowest is somewhere in Alabama I think. It might have *something* to do with the fact that the Diocesan Vocations Director is a lay woman. Anyway, she said that it was common knowledge that low recruitment was a *conscious policy*. It was thought that the "priesthood crisis" of not enough priests would finally "break the back" of Rome and cause the Pope to allow Priestesses in the Church. Recruiting more male priests would only be a setback in that endeavor.

Seems almost diabolical, doesn't it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your point with the nun pieces? Do you have a problem with nuns?

Thursday, July 06, 2006 10:26:00 PM  
Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Um, no.

What in this post could *possibly* suggest that?

Saturday, July 08, 2006 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Shea said...

I, too, am a member of the Diocese of Rochester but I was not aware of how poor our ordination rate was. What I am aware of is just how rapidly DOR is losing members.

According to the diocese's own figures, our average weekend Mass attendance was 108,000 in the year 2000, with that number falling to 91,000 by 2005. That translates into a loss of 3.4% of our weekend Mass attendees in each year over the last 5 years. Should this rate remain unchanged, we’ll be down to about 65,000 church-goers in another 10 years.

As one cynical friend put it, “That’s [Bishop] Matthew Clark’s solution to the priest shortage.”

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:43:00 PM  
Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Quincy, good to meet you. Yeah, I've heard that quote, seems to be a true word spake in jest. Do you ever go to Our Lady of Victory? We go third Sunday of each month.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Shea said...

Sorry, but I don't think I've ever attended Mass at Our Lady of Victory. Most summer weekends I'm at St. Mary's in Honeoye; otherwise it's usually either Our Lady of Mercy or Holy Cross in the Charlotte area.

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Well if you ever want a *really* reverent Mass, Our Lady of Victory is a sure thing.

Friday, July 14, 2006 2:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Shea said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try the next weekend I'm home.

Monday, July 17, 2006 12:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home