Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Voyage of the Dawn Patrol

I've added a new blog--The Dawn Patrol--to the list of Catholic blogs. It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing blogs I've seen and she posts a lot of videos which I like. She has great pro-life stories.

She has a fascinating story herself: Jewish to Evangelical and--this very Easter--Catholic. Reading her story is well worth digging through the April archives.

Here is a post on her blog that relates so directly to what Frank wrote in his Alterboys piece that it's almost eerie. I'll borrow the quote, the full post is here.

Um, folks, I was raised Catholic. I’m of an ethnic group (Irish) where I am presumed to be Catholic. My aunt is a nun. Anyone who hears that there are six children in my family almost invariably mentions Catholicism. Even though I am officially an apostate now (ask me how!), I still have trouble not thinking of myself as Catholic, and I know that others assume I am still one. ...The main reason why I no longer attend a Catholic Church and now attend our lovely Episcopalian Church is because of the nature of recent converts. They have all but destroyed our parish.

That's right folks, we Church-loving converts destroyed her parish! Maybe I should rename this blog "Homewreckers".

5 Comments:

Blogger Dawn Eden Goldstein said...

Thanks for the link! Please tell readers I'm not the author of the post you quoted. I was quoting it from Feministe.

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Sorry, I'd hoped it was clear from context, but you can't be too sure. I hope to hear a full narrative of your story.

Monday, June 12, 2006 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

UGh....Feministe. That explains a lot!!!


I've run into this idea that converts are "ruining the Catholic church," exclusively from libral, "Spirit of vatican II" type Catholics. These folks didn't really learn their faith and are ticked that the new converts learned it,love it are on fire for it. In other words, they are, in my opinion, jealous of the newcombers!

Sunday, July 02, 2006 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

Indeed, I suppose they forget that the Church is ever a church of converts of one sort or another.

We should pray that those who see us as invaders and pillagers will come to see us as liberators. It is not uncommon for this transition to take time. People come to love their oppression and the stability it affords.

There's no doubt enough blame to go around, but I think that most folks are less culpable than those who sold them a bill of goods. If we love them as Christ loved us, then they might, in the end, listen.

Sunday, July 02, 2006 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Oksana said...

I think that there is some truth to both points of view. I noticed that people who converted to Catholicism are concentrated more on intellectual justification of Catholic Faith.
It is natural, for I can not imagine any other way of conversion. I was baptized as Catholic. I admire how much the newconverts know. But for me it is more "what's next?" . I don't have serious issues with the dogma of infallibility of the Pope, for me it is more about "how do I live my Catholic Faith?", "how do I practice obedience to the authorities above me?". How do I love, how do I forgive, how do I respect life? I strive to be a woman of prayer. My personal striving for chastity, especially when a boy sees it, is much more effective than a thousand of words. Acceptance of all the commandments and all the teachings of the Church is only the start of the journey towards the divine union with God. There is frustration on the way, it is a part of the journey.


I find it helpful to read posts on this blog, they help me to figure out what to say to other people when they disagree. I would also be happy to see more sharings about people's personal struggle for virtues. Most of the posts on this blog are about how somebody is wrong and what would be the arguments to correct them. But we fail, too. Why don't we talk about that? It would bring some balance.
I once talked about forgiveness. Not in general, but because I had a hard time forgiving my friend. I think I was looking for some sharing of other people (sharing, not a teaching about how I should forgive).
I am OK with this blog the way it is. One blog does not have to address all the aspects of being a Catholic. So this is up to the blog members.

Friday, July 28, 2006 7:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home